15.1.13

You think fashion's your friend? My friend, fashion is danger. (first in a series)

Well, all day yesterday I tried to work on my Old Norse homework, meaning I actually read a blog all about the amazing fashion in Star Trek: The Next Generation. This morning when I went to school it was still on my mind!! It doesn't help that everyone on BYU has pretty much the same poor fashion sensibilities the costume designers on TNG had (minus the starfleet uniforms of course, those are perf). Everyone's outfits really stuck out to me in a way they hadn't before. The girls for the most part looked alright. There's this weird peacoat with like a belt around the waist? that's super popular that I'm not a fan of but generally they look alright (I have also seen some ladies with the best fashion who I aspire to be). The guys though? I'll let this (abridged) conversation sum up my feelings:

Me: They need to offer a class here called "remedial fashion for men"
Shasta: You should teach it.
Me: oh my gosh yes please. lesson one: your pants should be a different colour than your top*
Shasta: Lesson 2: polo shirts are so over.
Me: lesson 3: ill-fitting khakis are not your friend.
Shasta: Fact. Lesson 4: dont keep parting your hair when you get home from your mission.
Me: lesson 5: that Abercrombie and Fitch hoodie that looked so good on you in high school?** Never wear it again you aren't 15 anymore.
Shasta: Lesson 6: grow a beard. screw the system.
Me: yessssssss. lesson 6.5: it's ok to have hair longer than an inch
Shasta: Lesson 7: dont dress like your parents.
Me: lesson 8: accessories
Shasta: Also lesson 9: dont dress up for class like you do for church.
Me: lesson 9.5: unless you look fabulous at church then I'll maybe allow it. but knowing you, it's a Mr. Mac suit three sizes too big for you
Shasta: Lesson 10: dont dress like JB.***
Me: lesson 11: shoes and you
Shasta: you should put these on your blog.
Me: oh my gosh, done deal.

*Literally the first person I saw today was wearing these poop coloured khakis (possibly some kind of denim) with matching khakdenim jacket. It didn't even look warm! It also matched his hair which was disconcerting. I can only imagine his shirt underneath was also the same colour
**my informal unscientific survey thus far estimates that 67% of men on campus wear some variation on a theme of thin polyester hoodie (often combined with shorts because as we all know, 15 degrees F is t-shirt weather)
***if you don't already know who this is please talk to me and I will tell you the full story because it is loooooong

ok so that convo covers like half a semester (unless I offer the class in spring or summer). I'm thinking we would meet once a week for maybe an hour. The first part of class every day would be a critique of what everyone is wearing. I think maybe the first time I'd do it and then in the future we'd split into groups or something and I would just hover. Also in the first class I would give them each a list of wardrobe basics and it's their homework to acquire at least one of each thing on the list (not that unfeasible, I left my list in Salt Lake so I'd have to double check but there's only like 30 things on there). Maybe we'd have a day where they each bring in an item from the list and we talk about why it's a good article of clothing and how to like match it and stuff to form a coherent outfit.

Maybe some day

Anyway, In the future I'm going to try to get some pics of people on campus and do some critiques on here and tell you why all the dudes at BYU aren't as hot as the ones at the U (number one reason? no beards)

1 comment:

  1. Lol! Shannon, I just started reading your blog today (took me long enough). Your posts are hilarious. This one is my favorite so far. So funny! & you should totally teach that class! Thanks for sharing your awesome adventures.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete