11.12.12

If this had been an actual emergency, you would have been instructed to tune to one of the broadcast stations in your area.

Today was my last day at the University of Utah and approximately two minutes ago I submitted my final assignment and all that, so I thought it would be an appropriate time to start this little guy. In this first post I will give some background on my cool cool life and why this is even happening. fyi all of this is painfully well rehearsed because I have to explain all this at a moments notice to pretty much everyone apparently. What follows is a story all about how my life got flip turned upside down, in greatly unnecessary detail.

Backstory Time
Once upon a time when I was in high school I did this dumb thing called TV West where I made cool videos and you don't have to search very far to find some on them on this wild place called the internet. They were pretty dumb but it was relatively fun to do in high school and it's been super influential in my life and all that. Well anyway, each year we'd go to the Utah High School Film Festival and there'd be some presentations from various local industries and such related to film and tv.

My senior year I was sort of ambivalent about what I would do in college/what career I wanted to pursue but I was like "........film???" and that was about it as far as ideas go.
Anyway, BYU's animation program came and did a presentation at the UHSFF and I was like "DANNNNGGGIGITIITITITITIIIIIIIIIIT" because I was immediately convinced that it was the coolest thing ever and that I wanted to do it and I was already admitted to the U and also had been raised a U fan and also basically the fates were not aligned for me.

College is a hot mess
Summer rolls by and here I am at the Universidad de Utah and am like "what is my life." I was more and more certain that I wanted to do animation at the Y because looking into the U's program I felt like what it had to offer/where its focus was was not for me. By the end of my first semester I was pretty convinced that BYU was where I needed to be. Thanks to some dumb AP Chem class that I took my junior year I already had a horrible GPA (thank you 15 year old me for signing up for 5 AP/IB classes. I hate you and all the decisions you made).

I was like "they will never admit me ever if I don't bring up my GPA, obviously I need a whole two years to do that" yeah I don't know how I came to conclusion about why I needed to wait so long to apply to the Y but whatever that's what happened. I dinked around a lot but also took classes that would count for generals at BYU and then my first summer of college worked at Brighton Girls Camp where for the first time since graduating from high school, I had friends.

The Universe punches me in the teeth... repeatedly
The time finally came for me to make my application to la igriega and whatever I also reapplied to Brighton because I really had a good time working there the first summer. Come February within the same week I find out I didn't get admitted to the Y for fall 2012 or hired at brighton. It was kind of the worst ever. But whatever I worked at another camp and there is a whole long story there that I don't want to tell but I learned how to teach archery. This is (was) me:
pretty becky andrus
ok but then after that part
me during this time period and somewhat now too
I went back to school at the U and was like "eh should I do animation here or should I apply to winter semester?" and there was some indecisiveness until I started taking Intro to Animation at the U. The class was not what I wanted it to be (ie all we did was "this is how you do really tacky filters in photoshop kids!!" and I'm like a. I knew how to do that when I was 14 and b. that looks horrible) so I firmed my resolve to go to BYU or die trying (and by die trying I mean change my major to something like history or graphic design). So whatever I did my application and when the email came telling me my result I may or may not have swore because I was so worried that I had been rejected twice and was like "I'm going to break my heart against this fffff" but then it turned out I got in so my heart attack wasn't worth it after all.
which brings us to now
This will pretty much be me:
Provo will not be able to handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment