8.12.15

OLD ENGLISH

ok so... I really want to learn Old English, because I don’t have enough useless skills already. Also because I’ve heard it’s a lot like Iceland/Old Norse (one of my other useless skills) and so maybe I could bridge that gap and learn it. Anyway I was looking and there is an OE class offered at BYU but I’d have to take seven thousand prereq classes to get there (it’s a 500 level course so what am I really expecting) but I was just looking at they have their syllabus posted! With a BUNCH OF LINKS TO USEFUL OE RESOURCES. So I’m going to post them all here for future reference/study.
OLD ENGLISH PRONUNCIATION RESOURCES AND SAMPLES
EVERYTHING ELSE
practise recognizing cases (has exercises for Old Norse and some other ancient languages too!)
Dream of the Rood (this is like a poem but every word is hyperlinked to like a dictionary lower on the page idek)
There’s also this website the syllabus keeps linking to called Old English Aerobics but if you aren’t in a course it looks like you need to get special approval to register or something? I don’t really know what that’s about. So yeah you linguistics nerds enjoy!

please if you're the professor of this course and you stumble upon this don't hate me I just love old languages and being a nerd aaaaaa

1 comment: